- Only 9 out of 52 winners of the National Book Award for Fiction are women.
- Only 11 out of 48 winners of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction have been women.
- Women writers won 63% of the awards but less than 30% of the money in awards reported by Poets & Writers. (Jan/Feb ‘03 issue).
- 94% of all the writing awards at the Oscars have gone to men.
- A recent study by the Coalition of Women’s Arts Organizations showed that in all 1-person shows for living artists in American museums, only 2% of the featured artists are women.
- 51% of all visual artists are female and women hold 53% of art degrees, but 80% of college faculty members are male.
Source: Guerrilla Girls
- The number of professionally trained artists and art historians in the U.S. – Males 52%, Females 48%
- Percentage of artists at major institutions:
- National Gallery of Art — 98% male, 99.9% white
- National Portrait Gallery — 93% male, 99% white
- Hirshhorn Museum - modern and contemporary art — 95% male, 94% white
- Exhibition opportunities: Juried (artists unknown to juror) – Males 52%, Females 48%
- Exhibitions opportunities: Invited (artists known to juror) – Males 80%, Females 20%
- Gender distribution of visual artists in art texts – Males 90%, Females 10%
- Of the over 100 Tonys awarded since 1947 for theater direction, only 2-5% have been to women Directors; only 2-6% to African American Directors.
- Only four countries in the world fail to provide paid maternity leave to all workers:
- Lesotho, Swaziland, Papua, New Guinea and the United States
- The average college graduate who becomes a mother will sacrifice a million dollars over her lifetime.
- Businesses that create flexible work environments find that productivity goes up, they attract more talent, turnover is reduced and their bottom line improves.
- Single women make 90% of what men make
- Women with children make 73% of what men make
- Single women with children make 60% of what men make
- Paid maternity leave is proven to lower child mortality, improve children’s learning, and reduce juvenile delinquency.
- Paid maternity leave:
Sweden — 15 months
Canada — 12 months
U.K. — 6 months
U.S. — 0 months
California just started offering parental leave for 6 or 12 weeks.